Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Year of Living Fearlessly - Feat #1

Hola, mi gente.  A new year is upon us.

Back in September, I told you that I was committing to living fearlessly for 1 year.  To that end, in October (on my 41st birthday, no less!), I quit my job.

Let me back up a little.  For a few weeks before that, I had a buzzing in my soul telling me it was time to move on.  I ignored it.  (Seriously, who listens to a buzzing in their gut?)  But as much as I ignored it (or tried to, anyway), the buzzing got louder and louder.  And what baffled me, is that while it was certainly not my "dream" job, work was good.  I was earning a decent salary; the people treated me well.  Granted, I was feeling a little burnt out and didn't spend as much time with Brendan as I wanted to.  Still, why the urgency to move on?

But the buzzing continued.  And I felt to my core (again, with the gut!) that I had but a small window of opportunity to make my move.  So, after many arguments with Big Bren ("Are you effing crazy??  Who the hell listens to a buzzing in their gut??") and many discussions with my friends ("Dude, you really need to think this through.  Do you know what the unemployment rate is right now?"), I decided to listen to the buzzing in my gut and I quit.

For a week after I took that huge leap of faith, I hyperventilated.  Had I lost my mind?  I visited the land of Worst Case Scenario:  my family would be homeless; my "trophy" car would be repossessed; and -- worst of all -- I would have to borrow money from my parents!

Then, a minor miracle happened.  My boss approached me about an independent contractor gig with the firm that would allow me to work from home.  I could pick and choose the assignments I wanted and work as little or as much as I wanted to.

That was exactly the work situation I have always wanted, but thought was impossible to get!  I could work on my own time (I'm a night owl) and be home when Brendan got off the bus from school.  Best of all, I could dedicate some time to my writing and focus on getting my creative projects off the ground. Talk about an answered prayer ...

So I'm happy to report that my year of living fearlessly got off to an amazing beginning.

No comments: