Friday, September 30, 2011

The Year of Living Fearlessly (Recovering My Lost Childhood)

My 41st birthday is coming up and although I've done a lot in my life, I often feel like I haven't done enough.  And, yes, ya'll know about my burning desire to write and to get my book published, yada yada yada.  But, I've never spoken of the more mundane things that I wish to achieve.  Like learning how to ride a bicycle.  Or swim.  Or how to play an instrument.  There are so many things that I simply never learned how to do.  Sometimes, I look at Bren and I am in awe of him.  He throws himself into everything so wholeheartedly.  God bless him.  I hope he continues to be that way.

While I exemplify some good things (getting an education, focus, drive), I know that I am also a model of fear for him.  I am fearful of animals.  I am fearful of risk.  I dread change.  I scream my lungs out on amusement park rides.  (Sigh.)

So, for the next year, I commit to living fearlessly.  I am promising myself that by October 2012 (or when the world ends, according to some), I will have -- at a minimum -- learned how to ride a bike, swim and play an instrument.  I also want to learn how to ride a motorcycle, take at least one flying lesson and skydive.  I will, of course, regale you all with my adventures.  I'm sure you can't wait to hear all about them .... :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Can't wait. Although, I have faith you will accomplish what you set your mind to do, I will wait seating!