Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Year of Living Fearlessly -- Feat 2: Do Nothing

In the pursuit of knowledge, 
every day something is added.
In the practice of the Way, 
every day something is dropped.
Less and less do you need to force things,
until finally you arrive at non-action.
When nothing is done,
nothing is left undone.
 
 -Lao-tzu

I stopped working full-time on November 15, 2011.  When I left, I had a laundry list of things I wanted to do:  start writing my second novel; write and submit several articles to various magazines for publication; get an agent for my novel, clean out my kitchen cabinets, the list went on and on.

In the two months that have passed, however, I have found myself doing next to nothing.  When I need money, I work, but other than that, I have simply rested.  I meditate. I sleep when I need to.  I read what I feel like reading.  

Doing nothing has left me a bit conflicted.  Growing up, I was always doing something - anything - to avoid being labeled lazy, or slow or dumb.  So I was constantly doing.  Even when I felt tired, I did.  When I felt sick, I did.  I worked two jobs while going to school full-time.  I worked while pregnant.  I worked after Brendan was born.  I often worked after Bren went to bed.  I was just constantly going.  

But I have decided to stop listening to everyone else, to stop functioning on autopilot and start listening to me.  And I have decided to be still and do nothing.  At least for now.  So that is what I am doing.  Nothing.  And it's amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, there is so much to be done when doing doing nothing. It is a harder work to do nothing then to do something.