Thursday, March 4, 2010

Are you kidding me?

"Eliot Spitzer:  Why I liked ho's."  No, this headline is not from Bossip.com; it's from the New York Post. There are so many things wrong with this, that I don't know where to begin. 
First, isn't the Post supposed to be a reputable newspaper?  So, could someone explain to me why they are resorting to vulgar urban slang to make a point?  And in a headline, no less.

Second, what is this alleged "ho" in possession of?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but a plural of something has no apostrophe.  I guess they feel there is no need to check the grammar on their vulgar urban slang.

Don't get me wrong, my ire is not directed at the Post because I support Spitzer and his hooker habit.  I think he got everything he deserved.  In fact, he didn't get enough.  Here he was, the top politician in the State and fresh off the job of being the top law enforcer in the State, and he was patronizing prostitutes.  Why isn't he in jail?  Worse yet, why is his idiot wife staying with him?  Especially after it became common knowledge that he prefered to savor his whores au natural?

The point is that there is a place for irreverence and slang; the supposedly serious newspaper is not it.  I guess I'll be sticking to the Times from here on in.

No comments: