Friday, March 20, 2009

Attitude of Gratitude

“Many people who order their lives rightly in all other ways, are kept in poverty by their lack of gratitude.” Wallace D. Wattles, The Science of Getting Rich.

It is easy to get so mired in the day-to-day that we forget to be grateful for what we have. Today, I promised myself that I would be thankful for everything that I could think to be thankful for. The day did not disappoint. Getting in my car, I could not help but be grateful for its existence; and even more grateful that it has not given me a moment’s trouble since I got it last year. Going to work, I was grateful for the clear roads; no traffic today. That made it easy to appreciate the cleanliness of the roadways. Which got me going on a gratitude tangent – how ever does the government keep the foliage on the side of the highways neat and trimmed and the grounds so clean? More gratitude for that. Enjoying the scenic Saw Mill Parkway, I thanked God for my sight. I listened to a book on CD and had to give the Woman Above a “big-up” for my hearing and the fact that I could comprehend it. I struggled up the hill going up to my office while lugging my big work bag; that turned into the opportunity to be grateful for the fact that I could walk.

At my desk, I observed the piles of papers and felt inclined to grumble; instead I closed my eyes and thought of the millions of people who are unemployed in this country right now. I projected a silent “thanks” and went to work.

I started filling out the paperwork for Brendan’s summer camp and felt my stomach churn when I saw the price. Then I thought about my little guy and thanked God for lending him to me in this lifetime.

Even typing this post, I had to inwardly thank my parents for sacrificing in order to send me to a high school that taught typing and other useful skills.

Every where I turned today, there was a choice to be made: complain or feel good. Today, I choose to feel good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The idea of being grateful is one of my petpeeves. I thank the "Big Man Above" even for the trials and tribulations. What an ample oportunity of wisdom is acquired through every and each one. I am thankful for the storms and hurricanes in my life because I am giving a chance to decide, as you would say, to complain or to praise and worship the holyness and name of the Great one, my Lord, my Savior, Jesus.