Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What do you really want?

I saw this on the Huffington Post today:

It really got me thinking about my life and what I want.  So I sat still and wrote down five things that I "really" want.
  1. I want to be employed doing what I love and make a great living doing so.
  2. I want to see Brendan grow up.  And that means not just being physically alive when he is a grown up, but enjoying him as he grows up.  I want us to see different parts of the world together and spend real time with each other, not an hour in the evening or a few hours on the weekend.
  3. I want to live somewhere warm year-round.
  4. I want to weigh 125 pounds again; and I want to do it while feeling healthy and energetic (not to mention, looking good).
  5. I want to be joyful.  Not "happy"; joyful.  The state where I can enjoy the journey without always checking to see if I've reached some destination. 
Writing down this list really made me re-focus.  Maybe you should try it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing and amusing you would mention that list. About a week or two ago I was also confronted about my purpose and directions in life. This is what was brought to my attention and I figure I'll pass it on 2-3And then God answered: "Write this.
Write what you see.
Write it out in big block letters
so that it can be read on the run.
This vision-message is a witness
pointing to what's coming.
It aches for the coming—it can hardly wait!
And it doesn't lie.
If it seems slow in coming, wait.
It's on its way. It will come right on time.

Anonymous said...

As the Jill Scott song states "Living my life like its Golden". No fuse no drama!

Unknown said...

Once again loca vieja, your words have inspired me. I haven't written out a list of my desires and goals to attain in a very long time. I have been so driven by my fear and anxiety at the upcoming events in my life, that I lost sight of the one thing that has always made me successful...my optimism. I need to find it again and work from that place, and I think a great place to start is by writing down my list...Thanks amiga.