Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Weight of the World

My middle sister has been in Honduras visiting our parents for the past 10 days. And every day, she has sent me a text complaining about: the weather ("it's miserably hot!); the people ("no one has any sense of personal space, and can we talk about the BO?"); the people again ("please send down a bus-load of deodorant; the body odor of these people is killing me!); the amenities ("they shut off the running water every morning for several hours down here. If you don't get up at dawn to take a shower, you're SOL. Come to think of it, that may explain the body odor issue"); and the critters ("can they have any more friggin' bugs?? I'm probably gonna catch Malaria or Denge fever on this alleged vacation").

Finally, I had to text back: "Why do you keep going there? Every year you spend all of your vacation time there and every year, I keep hearing these exact same complaints."

Her response: "Someone has to look after our parents."

Our parents are older, yes, but extremely healthy. They can fend for themselves and, unlike my sister, they enjoy being in their country. My poor sis has taken on the weight of the world (not to mention body odor, stifling heat and bugs) "looking after" people who don't want to be looked after. Go figure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the graphic you selected for this entry. The graphic says it all. Some of us are born with a Martyrdom gift. So go figure!